JK, JK

#62 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

All joking aside these volcanoes can erupt for years and years... this could be a serious problem !

Of course, the wind could change and it could rain, which would sort it out, but if that volcano doesn't stop then it's going to be a pretty common occurence.

#63 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

View PostWF10, on Apr 15 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

All joking aside these volcanoes can erupt for years and years... this could be a serious problem !

Of course, the wind could change and it could rain, which would sort it out, but if that volcano doesn't stop then it's going to be a pretty common occurence.

I was  thinking the same thing... :hrmm:

#64 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

View PostIain_R, on Apr 15 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

View PostCAY029-Pierre, on Apr 15 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

Wow, that is freaky. Hopefully won't spread further than Europe.

Emmm.  :hrmm: It's already expected to get to the US by tomorrow...

From that satellite image someone posted, I highly doubt that.  By the looks of it, it is dissipating by the time it gets over mainland Europe (albeit still there, but not as bad).  With the winds, it would have to go all almost all the way around the globe to get to the U.S. (passing over Europe, Asia, and the Pacific).

View PostWF10, on Apr 15 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

Put a big dome over it. :hrmm:

Edited by Alex - MetroAir, 15 April 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#65 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

FYL

#66 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

View Postdivemaster08, on Apr 15 2010, 06:05 PM, said:

What about the NAT Tracks? Are these going to be affected for a while?

I know that if the European sectors are closed there is not much point, but say the area begins to clear up to the south. Will the Tracks just battle the wind and not follow/avoid the Jetstream now due to ash?

http://www.turbulenc...ound_tracks.php

So low... It kind of feels like it is like a big huge disaster already... well, thats how people I have talk to describe it... lmao!

#67 George Bush

George Bush

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hot :hrmm: this is serious.

And that's my 2 cents.

#68 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostNiick, on Apr 15 2010, 06:45 PM, said:

That Met police helicopter is over the Cherwell Valley service station which has burnt to the ground..
and why is that?

View PostJetset, on Apr 15 2010, 07:08 PM, said:

View Postsuddste, on Apr 15 2010, 06:36 PM, said:

They are sending out a research flight later tonight.

I found it.. :hrmm:
Although I have no idea where it is except that's it's at FL100

Posted Image
I sometimes see those aircraft on approach to NHT :hrmm:

here were todays NAT tracks. This is the eastbound, but you can choose westbound as well at the top. also don't forget to enable it in noscript as there are two maps to each one

http://www.jetplan.com/tda/east.html

I was wondering, would we be able to see the ash?

Edited by iranair787, 15 April 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#69 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Although prudent, I don't know how significant the impact of the ash over the UK really is. When there was an eruption in Alaska two years ago (or so), the only adverse effects for our aircraft were the occasional report of sulphuric odours within the aircraft.

Hope these 'research flights' will show the risk is not as severe as they initially thought, and the airspace can re-open.

#70 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

View PostDuke, on Apr 16 2010, 12:35 AM, said:

Although prudent, I don't know how significant the impact of the ash over the UK really is. When there was an eruption in Alaska two years ago (or so), the only adverse effects for our aircraft were the occasional report of sulphuric odours within the aircraft.

Hope these 'research flights' will show the risk is not as severe as they initially thought, and the airspace can re-open.
I'm sure nobody wants a repeat of http://en.wikipedia....irways_Flight_9

#71 BuboBubo

BuboBubo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Apr 16 2010, 02:09 AM, said:

yeah i've seen the documentry on national Geographic channel and its on yt aswell:

pt1.
pt2
pt3
pt4
pt5

towards the end when you get to see conditions of the engines its amazing that
they actually made it back in one piece.

#72 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Apr 15 2010, 08:09 PM, said:

I'm well aware of the harmful effects of volcanic ash ingestion, but tell me, do you see clouds of volcanic ash outside your window? A lot of it is just trace.

If there was enough to be harmful, you wouldn't see ANY aircraft flying, not even VFR or below 10,000. It was preemptively shut down as a precaution.

Edited by Duke, 15 April 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#73 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

View PostDuke, on Apr 16 2010, 01:33 AM, said:

View PostChief_Bean, on Apr 15 2010, 08:09 PM, said:

I'm well aware of the harmful effects of volcanic ash ingestion, but tell me, do you see clouds of volcanic ash outside your window? A lot of it is just trace.
No, but when it's that high in the atmosphere, I don't expect to see everything around me coated in ash :hrmm:

The satellite imagery makes it look quite significant, so...

#74 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Apr 15 2010, 08:36 PM, said:

If you plan on flying north of the Shetlands  :hrmm:

#75 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

View PostDuke, on Apr 16 2010, 01:41 AM, said:

But wasn't that an older image (meaning it will have spread further by now)?

#76 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Apr 16 2010, 01:43 AM, said:

But wasn't that an older image (meaning it will have spread further by now)?

Yeah that was from near the start of it.

Anyway:

Update from NATS:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 0230

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1900 (UK time) today, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.

However, flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick may be allowed up to 1300 (UK time) today, subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed over the same period. We will review further Met Office information and at 0830 (UK time) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place until 0100 (UK time) on Saturday, 17 April.

In general, the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west. We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

#77 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

From Airnav forum :hrmm:

An NUFC club spokesman has refused to comment on claims that the source of the dust cloud covering parts of Europe was in fact St.James' Park and not Iceland as previously thought.

Cleaners preparing the trophy cabinet for the expected arrival of the Championship trophy on Tyneside next week have been blamed for the release of ancient material.

#78 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:53 AM

Guess who is stuck on Amsterdam....can think of worse places though, but the hotel rates shoot up for the next two nights!

Just need to wait and see.... :hrmm:

#79 TheBigTurkey

TheBigTurkey

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

So many airlines just lost a :hrmm: load of money...

#80 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:28 AM

New Update:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 0830

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in English controlled airspace will remain in place until 0100 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest.

Flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick will continue to be allowed until 1900 (UK time) subject to individual co-ordination.  North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed in this period.

From 1900 (UK time), forecasts indicate that Scottish airspace may be able to accept domestic flights within Scotland and Northern/Southern Ireland, and North Atlantic flights to/from airports in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

We will review further Met Office information and at 1330 (UK time) we will advise further arrangements.  In general, the situation is dynamic and subject to change.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.