162 replies to this topic

#21 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say MS Flight looks the best out of those three. I like the REX water but I think it's too glossy and dramatic. The lighting in Flight is better and the water is more subtle. It still isn't all that awe-inspiring though.

#22 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

I dunno... The Flight water looks a little drab to me... For example, look at this picture of Hawaiian water:

Posted Image

Edited by Rudolph-411, 23 December 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#23 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

View PostRudolph-411, on Dec 23 2010, 05:43 PM, said:

I took a screenshot of the location in my version of FSX. Relevant addons include REX, GEX, and FsGenesis Mesh.

http://www.simviatio.../1293193079.jpg

http://www.simviatio.../1293179374.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ct5hc.jpg

What season/time of day did you use for your screenshot? You got it way better than I did!  :hrmm:

#24 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Dec 23 2010, 08:02 PM, said:

What season/time of day did you use for your screenshot? You got it way better than I did!  :hrmm:

Season was winter, with today's date, and for the time, I think I used around 16:40.

#25 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

I think the lighting in FSX may have a lot to do with why I don't like that REX water (nor default, for that matter). It's just way too bright to look good IMO. I'd like to see some tropical textures in that Flight water to see how it looks.

#26 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Dec 23 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

I think the lighting in FSX may have a lot to do with why I don't like that REX water (nor default, for that matter). It's just way too bright to look good IMO. I'd like to see some tropical textures in that Flight water to see how it looks.

Sounds like what people say about X-Plane, only backwards. :hrmm:

Edited by Rudolph-411, 23 December 2010 - 10:07 PM.

#27 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

I still stand by my original opinion of MS Flight...   it's an improved version of FSX, just like WIndows 7 is the improved version of Windows Vista...

#28 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

View PostTheProfessor, on Dec 24 2010, 07:55 AM, said:

I still stand by my original opinion of MS Flight...   it's an improved version of FSX, just like WIndows 7 is the improved version of Windows Vista...
Yes, I have the same feeling.

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Dec 23 2010, 07:42 PM, said:

For anyone who doesn't think Flight looks much better than FSX, here is a comparison to prove you wrong.  :hrmm:
Install a mesh and a landclass, even freeware, and you'll get the same good looking landscapes in FSX:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Freeware plane, freeware mesh, freeware landclass in the shots above...

#29 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

I think that the textures don't look as "leopardy" in that last mountain shot.

And those shadows don't mean anything if it eats up frames like crazy :hrmm:

But thing is, MS Flight is still in very early development, and they might improve the visuals.

Visuals aside, performance is what we all really care about :hrmm:

#30 divemaster08

divemaster08

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

To me as long as FSX addons work in flight, then I will be happy!

I think that Microsoft have had to realize that what they just needed to do was make FSX the product it should of been and this is what they have finally done!

Im sure tho if you turn the settings on Flight right to minimum, then your going to see the same as FSX on minimum.

#31 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

FSX for me with my addons looks decent enough, I just want this type of decency at large airports etc. with good frames.  I don't care what Flight looks like stock, as long as its going to have the ability to be modified which I'm sure the developers have that in their mind.
Posted Image

but lets just say for some reason with the whole Windows LIVE deployment there are problems when people have different mods etc.........well oh well, I'll still buy it and use it for frames, but at that point I'd stick with FSX as well.

#32 trim2level

trim2level

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Not bad! But I'm having my fingers crossed, hoping I don't have to buy a new rig to play it!

#33 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

View PostDaube, on Dec 23 2010, 05:09 PM, said:

Really ? Show us ! What exactely in those shots look better than FSX with freeware or payware addons ?
Aircraft ? No.
Ground textures ? No.
Water ? No.
Mesh/Landclass ? No.
Clouds/Sky ? No.
So far the one and only thing we've seen that look better in MS Flight than in FSX is the shadow effect, nothing else.
Don't you think it's stupid to compare a default Flight to a FSX with addons? They are on the right track at least, FSX in my opinion is pretty :hrmm: good default, they're making simple adjustments and if it performs great, then they have a winner.

#34 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Why is everyone banging on about FSX with ORBX etc looking better?! There is no point, its never ever going to be upto them standards, we would be waiting 10 years for another sim then, lets just appreciate it for what it is, a base for modders to make it look better.

#35 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

View Postwynthorpe, on Dec 24 2010, 11:11 AM, said:

Why is everyone banging on about FSX with ORBX etc looking better?! There is no point, its never ever going to be upto them standards, we would be waiting 10 years for another sim then, lets just appreciate it for what it is, a base for modders to make it look better.

Big Time Agree :hrmm:  Though I am still sold on performance, even if its a Modding failure, just to have it like it is in Webisode 2 with the Steerman......I'll save at the nicest looking airport and call it good!

#36 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

View Postwynthorpe, on Dec 24 2010, 04:11 PM, said:

Agreed. If they can make it stable and perform better than FSX out of the box, then it's a good base to build on.

#37 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

View PostDaube, on Dec 24 2010, 05:16 AM, said:

Yes, I have the same feeling.
Install a mesh and a landclass, even freeware, and you'll get the same good looking landscapes in FSX:

http://sapdaube.free...e_image1046.jpg
http://sapdaube.free...e_image1048.jpg

Freeware plane, freeware mesh, freeware landclass in the shots above...

Honestly, Flight still looks better...

We shouldn't be concerned about the terrain in Flight not looking hugely better, although there is a great improvement. With add-ons, you should be able to make Flight look as good as you want, considering the scenery add-on feature stays.

Edited by Hughes-MDflyer4, 24 December 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#38 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

View PostClarkGriswold, on Dec 24 2010, 11:10 AM, said:

Don't you think it's stupid to compare a default Flight to a FSX with addons? They are on the right track at least, FSX in my opinion is pretty :hrmm: good default, they're making simple adjustments and if it performs great, then they have a winner.

Learn to read and understand the answers.
I'm not saying that Flight is not able to show better scenery than FSX is.
I'm saying that IN THOSE SCREENSHOTS, Flight looks just the same than FSX, contrary to Hughes-MDflyer4 who stated that we were blind not to aknowledge that Flight looked better.

#39 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

View PostDaube, on Dec 24 2010, 06:53 PM, said:

Learn to read and understand the answers.
I'm not saying that Flight is not able to show better scenery than FSX is.
I'm saying that IN THOSE SCREENSHOTS, Flight looks just the same than FSX, contrary to Hughes-MDflyer4 who stated that we were blind not to aknowledge that Flight looked better.

I would agree with Hughes-MDflyer! It does look better, by quite some margin.

#40 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

This is what I poster in another thread....

Why don't we take a closer look at what is in the last vid......anything in this vid. to remind you of FSX....about a couple of things....look closely at the back wheel of the plane....sinked half way in the runway....look familiar to you.....you'r right we have the same problem with FSX....now look at the lower right corner of your screen when the plane is in the air over the runway.....what do you see....you got it right again....stutters......about the trees.....do they look oversized compare to the houses......do we have that problem in FSX...you "betcha"..... so how does the saying goes...if it walk like a duck, quack like a duck and look like a duck.....guess what....it's a freeking DUCK!

Now to their credit I have to say that the sky, water the sun reflections + shadows look far better.....DX10 or DX11....maybe.....lets see some cockpit shadow first and we will have a better idea.

To me Flight is (based on what I saw in the last vid.) FSX SP3....I'm just hoping I'm wrong.....so if you think I'm wrong please feel free to show me where based on what we can see in the last released vid.