Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi guys,

The Flight website has been updated with:
- new screenshots, showing the Icon A5 mainly, nothing new for the scenery.
- a new video, webisode 5, as useless as ever, with crappy music too... Oh, yes, you can see a Mustang inside...
- a new article, which is more or less the only interesting thing in the update.

http://www.microsoft...-takes_to_skies

The article explains that Flight will be available somewhere this Spring. You will be able to download it for free, but only Hawaii will be included. Then you will be able to PAY to BUY the rest of the world. Great, isn't it ?

Of course, the article doesn't say anything about the possibility to get freeware addons, especially scenery, so we don't know if we'll be able to get the rest of the world (and other aircrafts) for free or if we will be forced to pay.

I'm even more pessimistic than before about this "sim"...

Edited by Daube, 04 January 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#2 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hahaha what did I told everybody here long long time ago.....Flight will not be business as usual, pay as you go (more content)...what else....FSX SP3.....and if you think you'll be able to upload your free sceneries to MS store to have them redownloaded for free....guess again...whay is it that 3RD party dev. were upset again??

Edited by alainneedle1, 04 January 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#3 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Jumping into planes, having fun, find hidden...bla bla bla...

Lucky for FSX + Orbx and DCS simulators.

Edited by Dr...Watson, 04 January 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#4 .Steve

.Steve

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

So it's a demo that you can expand bit-by-bit through GFWL credits. Fantastic. :hrmm:

#5 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

D:

#6 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Probably one of the best reviews by just the first sentence: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is dead.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2397774,00.asp

#7 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Still waiting for Microsoft Flight Simulator XI. I'll skip this.

#8 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Well that's a load of shite, we all got our hopes up for nothing.

#9 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postflare, on Jan 4 2012, 06:26 PM, said:

Well that's a load of shite, we all got our hopes up for nothing.

I agree. With all the previous updates I said "Wow, Flight keeps getting better!". But now my hopes are crushed.

This creams webisode 5:

#10 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Might be worth the effort and depending how much the addons cost it might not be too bad.

I was expecting this - and if they aren't too greedy then I can actually see this working.

Though we all know that the likes of LAX and LHR etc are going to be expensive.

#11 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

:hrmm:

#12 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

According to this:
http://flyawaysimula...rosoft-studios/

"The game will feature it's own marketplace, with content regulated by Microsoft. There will be no scenery development kit and hence no user created content. The Live marketplace allows for constant content flow and users that opt-in to share data, allow the team to react to user behaviors to improve the game and add more of what users want. It also allows for quicker response to user requests, fixes and general improvements. On top of that, integration with the Microsoft Flight® website offers a more direct link between team and users."

There won't be any addons made by people like PMDG etc? Not sure how it works at the moment.

Edited by MattGarner, 04 January 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#13 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I will quote the interwebz speak "EPIC FAIL".

#14 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

What a fail. I hope they lose more than they make, for such a stupid idea. Ah well....they've left us with a buggy FSX. YAY

Edited by Peter797, 04 January 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#15 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

'The game is built on an improved legacy engine, for large scale scenery support. The base is still a globe, it's just that there is not enough geography yet. But they would rather launch now and not have everything than wait and let the product age. This also helps keep the download size down.'

Keep the above quote in mind. Now if the brought out a "World DLC" that was £20-£40 and It had support for 3rd party content and also support for VATSIM/IVAO. Would you like that?

(Even though according to the article above there will be no SDK but let's say they was going to be)

Edited by MattGarner, 04 January 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#16 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

How are you going to have 3rd party content with no sdk. Forget it. This lump of :hrmm: is a waste of time.

#17 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

terrible news :hrmm: , I understand the motive due to the market surge of other "games" but FSX + ORBX + PMDG and a few other addons is what I'm going to continue with, what a shame.  The only way I will play it is becuase its free, and the slight slight chance that something will happen, still very frustrated though.  Can anyone speculate if they will actually do better to market it this way, lets say they stuck with making it like fsx but actually perform better, you think they would get better business that way? I'm so upset that I can't even think right now, maybe that was their motive? B)

#18 BlueVanGogh

BlueVanGogh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

The only way I would get into Flight is if in a few years, Microsoft releases a boxed product containing all of the Flight add-on sceneries, planes, etc...for, say, $60 or $70. I will say the flight models look amazing. Ground textures are better than FSX but not by a whole lot imo.

I am anxious, though, to see what Flight's ATC is like. There is information stating a player can fly a plane in full realism mode (following start-up procedures, using the switches, etc....), but nothing has been said about if the ATC can be adjusted between a simple system to a realistic system. I doubt a casual gamer, looking to play Flight in a simple arcade flight model is going to be calling ATC for clearance and following approach patterns.

I just read IGN's article and it stated only 1 island in Hawaii is available upon release, you will have to buy the rest of the islands. If a few islands costs more money, I can't even imagine how much buying USA or Europe as a whole would cost!! Anyone who buys all of Flights add-ons will surely be paying a fortune for all of the content. I, along with so many other simmers, would have been happy with a whole-world release allowing me to fly where I want, when I want and have the OPTION to buy extras. I don't like the fact I have NO OPTION to fly where I want.

I can see even small things like a GPS device being a purchasable add-on. Maybe the more real you want your sim to be, the more it's going to cost you. Speculation, yes.....but a very real possibility with today's news.

#19 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

They added the webisode to their website and removed the link to the YouTube video after seeing the bad comments.  :hrmm:

#20 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostKaotika, on Jan 4 2012, 05:32 PM, said:

They added the webisode to their website and removed the link to the YouTube video after seeing the bad comments.  :hrmm:

Think they've taken it off YT altogether now - I can't find it at all.