188 replies to this topic

#61 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

I got selected, downloaded it, have spent several hours messing around in it.
I haven't read the NDA, but I'll play it safe and not say much.  Except that it's definitely "fun" and interesting.
TBH, I actually kinda like it...for what it is.  
Before people go nuts angry trying to criticize the route Microsoft have gone, let's give it a few months.
And just to let you know, I'm an X Plane developer and am very pro x plane.

Edited by CaptainG37, 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#62 444Pilot

444Pilot

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

I am guessing this new "game" will not be able to run on Windows XP platform   :hrmm:

#63 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

It'll be great for those of us who fly VFR only, and low and slow, or just short hops, or just aerobatics.

#64 Mumbles

Mumbles

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

View Postcyvr, on Jan 4 2012, 05:19 PM, said:

I hate to say it but looks like PC gaming as a whole is slowly dying out and it's safe to say that Microsoft doesn't want to spend money and resources creating another FSX because I assume they don't see a large return.

It's sad that MS couldn't create one last sim that would actually fly out of the box on current hardware Instead we're stuck with FSX which I refuse to fly and now this pile of s!!t. I guess I'll stick with FS2004 and all my add on's and hope MS changes it's mind over time and build from MS Flight and offer a full sim.

You know, I really hated FSX for a long time, I even bought the NGX thinking that I would suddenly love FSX but ended up hating it. However after tweaking (forever) it runs fine, and I really can't bring myself back to FS9 now. It wasn't that long ago everybody was searching for FS9 tweaks because they couldn't run it, now if you can't run FS9 at 40fps smooth there is something terribly wrong. It won't be too long before we are all running FSX like we can run FS9 now.

View PostIndependence76, on Jan 4 2012, 06:19 PM, said:

OK, people, listen:

Yes, I'm disappointed, too. I'm not happy. BUT, let's look at this realistically for a moment. Do you really think that this is the final project? Do you really think they're just going to release this and pack their bags? Come on.

It's unrealistic to anticipate going from worldwide to a few islands - so how is it realistic to stop there? This could be a base testing platform for all we know. Microsoft has a history of doing things like that (if anybody has cared too look).
I don't see one :hrmm: video with a few killed hopes and call it quits. I may not be happy at all, but I'm going to download it for the heck of it to see if the programmers did the job they claimed to do. Then I might be hopeful of something much, much larger.

Am I being overoptimistic? Possibly, but I don't have any evidence to refute a future or expansion off of this system. I have enough logical anticipation to assume they're going to work on a much bigger project if it runs well on current systems.

Well...um...keyword being free. It makes sense, they don't use the word "simulator", all the screen shots have been of Hawaii, and well....it's a bunch of "fly through the hoops" herp derp arcade flying. I really don't see them offering the rest of the world at any point. Maybe other regions, but not the world. The game is an utter failure (for us "simulator" folk).

#65 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Jan 4 2012, 07:30 PM, said:

OrbX needs to come out with the entire earth  B)

That would take up like 1TB :hrmm:  And the game might load extremely slowly XD

#66 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostMumbles, on Jan 4 2012, 11:11 PM, said:

Well...um...keyword being free. It makes sense, they don't use the word "simulator", all the screen shots have been of Hawaii, and well....it's a bunch of "fly through the hoops" herp derp arcade flying. I really don't see them offering the rest of the world at any point. Maybe other regions, but not the world. The game is an utter failure (for us "simulator" folk).

They're showing Flight at CES this year. It wouldn't make sense for them to show it off and say "yeah, we're going nowhere with this platform."

#67 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Jan 5 2012, 12:33 AM, said:

That would take up like 1TB :hrmm:  And the game might load extremely slowly XD

That's why we have that nice option from them to enable/disable regions so you only have to load the regions you're flying over :( But yes they might as well just ship it on a 1TB drive if they ever get around to doing it  B)

Edited by Toby Werner, 05 January 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#68 SuperCar1000

SuperCar1000

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostIndependence76, on Jan 5 2012, 12:33 AM, said:

They're showing Flight at CES this year. It wouldn't make sense for them to show it off and say "yeah, we're going nowhere with this platform."

Would be logic for them to sell the rest of the world and leave Hawaii free as a Demo. But still... it's not a simulator and I'm going the XP way.

#69 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

what a freaking joke. and they still used the same old 'legacy' code.. :hrmm: for game with an area of Hawaii. wth have they been doing for 3 years? oh that's right.. working on halo 4-6.. hey microsoft... please just stop making games now.. nobody cares anymore.

#70 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postjcovelli, on Jan 4 2012, 10:11 PM, said:

what a freaking joke. and they still used the same old 'legacy' code.. :hrmm: for game with an area of Hawaii. wth have they been doing for 3 years? oh that's right.. working on halo 4-6.. hey microsoft... please just stop making games now.. nobody cares anymore.

Maybe the code got so bad that only a small area of Hawaii can be played on B)

#71 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

View Postcaaront, on Jan 5 2012, 12:10 AM, said:

It'll be great for those of us who fly VFR only, and low and slow, or just short hops, or just aerobatics.

How do you know it will be great?  I just done a flight in the pnw with the da20, 2 hours navigating with a road map. I caught the prop on the grass while taxiing on a rough air strip, had to sit ten mins while it got replaced.  I doubt flight will have the in depth features and terrain that the vast orbx scenery and 3rd party aircraft give us now.....and orbx are planning to do the uk next.

Just because the promo videos lack airliners, doesn't mean it will be great for us vfr fliers.

#72 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

Great. I forgot the Hotmail e-mail I used to sign up for the beta. I don't know if I was chosen or not.

Why do they force us to use this thing anyway?

#73 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Got accepted - Downloading now

#74 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Is there anyone who did not get accepted?

#75 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

I'm guessing there must be very, very few people that didn't

#76 IndependenceFAN

IndependenceFAN

formerly uniTED Airline fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

wow. it's like we are seeing select pics of FSX back in 2005 again. THis product is going to be targeted towards the kids who would never know what FS9 even was. (or still IS for some of you) This is extremely upsetting, but at least Aerosoft is working with X-plane 10, and like someone else posted, there are still addons being made for FSX. (Thank God.)

I think we should just have the ORBX team make us an entire engine, with other things like aircraft being teamed up with developers like PMDG, QualitySim, LevelD, and for light mode flying CLS... and of course for VFR, Carenado! <---- that would sell so freaking fast and they could charge whatever they wanted since it'd be a QUALITY product made for us with actual aviation intelligence for the fine details and sophistication of simming.

#77 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

Orbx have had ms flight for over a year

http://www.orbxsyste...s-on-ms-flight/

The futures safe with them, especially if you love vfr flying.

#78 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postflare, on Jan 5 2012, 01:58 PM, said:

I'm guessing there must be very, very few people that didn't

I did not. This is how bad my luck is.

#79 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

I have the beta invite, just cant download from connect, says i don't have permissions.

#80 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostDr...Watson, on Jan 5 2012, 04:44 AM, said:

Orbx have had ms flight for over a year

http://www.orbxsyste...s-on-ms-flight/

The futures safe with them, especially if you love vfr flying.

If OrbX and other developers are dissapointed I think we will be too B)

Well it's probably FSX for now and XP in the long run.

QhjUjw3pUkk

The music is better too :hrmm: